Saturday 4 January 2014

Mudbox to Cinema 4D

This is an experiment I did with importing a mesh from Mudbox to Cinema 4D, I didn't have much money to spend on christmas presents this year so I created 3D portraits of each of my family, the one that is best documented is my dad and I know he won't mind, so I'm using his portrait to demonstrate the process.


heres a picture of me and my dad from the summer that I used as reference.

I then opened a new human head mesh on mudbox and started sculpting it to try and make it look like my dad.

Then I imported the mesh into Cinema 4d and stuck a connect on it to reduce the polycount, I also put on a gradient as a texture.

I then created the low poly hair and eyes, I added a displacement to the hair to creat some roughness, and painted the eyes very simply.

Here I started to Experiment with variations of poly reduction and connect, the results would be very different depending on both the tolerance/reduction amount, and also depending on whether the poly reduction was applied to the mesh or the connect itself the best result was to put the poly reduction under the mesh, putting it under the connect created strange results.


I then tweaked the settings, changed the gradient to more abstract colors, and added eyebrows, aswell as a background that I felt was in keeping with the design. I had alot of fun creating this and the process of taking sculpted objects from mudbox and reducing their polycount dramatically was quite fun and interesting and I think it will be able to help my project alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment