Friday 1 November 2013

Inspirations 1

I have started to explore the route of surreal 3D environments with very simple geometric structures one game that is entirely focused on surrealism is back to bed by Team 1UP shown below.

The Environment in this game looks incredible, the colours, the lighting, the optical illusions, and props all convey the feeling that the player is in an amalgamation of surrealist paintings combining the visual style of René Magritte, salvador dali, and MC Escher. The game is beautiful and I can't wait to play it and experiment with similar techniques in a 3D environment, although I imagine that it will be difficult to recreate some of the optical illusions but thats what i need to find out.

Another Game that uses 3D surreal environments is Dream, the player takes on the role of howard philips in his lucid dreams, the game is largely puzzle based but is largely focused on the beautiful dream world visuals which change throughout.


this sort of environment could definitely be achievable considering my current 3D skills and has some really fantastic environmental animation which I am quite interested in.

The final Inspiration this week is the game Kairo, the game is created using very simple geometric shapes and often one texture per room but the game is still visually interesting and the levels are fun for the player to navigate through and solve puzzles as they go.

I believe that for my final project I can achieve a higher level of detail than that which is present in kairo but at the same time I could use similar 3D modelling techniques to create level tests to find out if the layout is fun and perhaps inform the visual style by using simple textures and seeing what works.


No comments:

Post a Comment