Tuesday 5 November 2013

abstract environment test

Initially I started trying to model optical illusions in 3D and it may be possible but only with shaders and no field of view, and either way they arent that well suited to 3D game environments where they player can walk around, I may explore this further but unless I'm definitely going down an abstract 3D route there doesn't seem to be much point.

So I moved on to create an abstract 3D trying to create an Escher sort of feel, unfortuneately this turned out quite badly quite early due to poor composition, lack of context, and no real goal in mind for the level.

after seeing all the low poly games that are being made recently I had a look into low poly art, it had interested me before in previous projects but I had never looked into it beyond a few artists, some fantastic low poly art can be found on this webpage:

http://www.pinterest.com/justinclaypool/low-poly-3d-art/

This inspired me to create some assets in the most simplistic way by using the same shape over and over again, the first piece I created was a building made of one cube duplicated and re-scaled as shown below



due to this looking quite nice in a simplistic way I moved onto my next test which was mountains made entirely out of one pyramid that I duplicated and re-scaled in the same way.

I found this to be an interesting way to work, because of the speed in which designs can be mocked up and how easy it is to pick up where detail is lacking, I found it similar to adjusting tonal values in a painting by looking at it grayscaled or while squinting.

I then started to create some slightly more detailed assets but still trying to stay as low poly as possible and use simple shapes, below is a tree and some rocks.


By now I felt I had enough pieces to create a small environment so I attempted to make a low poly landscape with two cars on a road.

 
when I was happy with the rough composition I started adding more of the assets I had already created to make a mock up scene.

Its incredible how much easier it is to manipulate a scene and get the composition the way you want it when working with low poly models, it also allowed me to focus more on some of my weak points (e.g. making good use of outliner). I then moved onto colouring the environment, toying with the lighting and adding little details like clouds (made entirely out of spheres).




and finally I went into photoshop to make a few minor adjustments and create the final image.




This style of 3D is ideal for mocking up levels because of the speed at which assets can be produced, altogether this piece probably took around 7 hours and if I were to create another one I'm certain I could do it much faster. As for the low poly style I do really like it and think there is a trend recently leaning towards it, in the same way architecture has slowly trended from highly detailed buildings to simpler designs that look cleaner, minimalist and more modern. I'm not sure if I will pursue this style yet but its a possibility.

My next practical objective is to create a higher poly 3D piece by using someone elses artwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment