Monday 10 February 2014

Meeting with Lynn

I had a meeting with Lynn today and got alot of really helpful feedback, she pointed out that my project is abit all over the place which is probably what has caused me to become quite confused, because I'm looking at alot of different stuff and in many ways focusing on the wrong things.

Lynn clarified that my creative project and my research project are both different things and that at the minute I have not really structured it in that way, altogether I need to be able to communicate more clearly what it is I'm doing and hopefully by the time I have my presentation it will be totally clear what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, and the process involved.

The way I have been looking at simplistic visuals but not really looked at other visual styles shows that it is only relative to my creative project and is simply a means to demonstrate what I'm trying to show, I think this is what has confused aspects of my project during supervisor meetings cos I have talked about simplistic visual styles being effective at evoking moods and conveying meaning but that is not part of my research project and is making the entire thing quite confused.


I have decided that what I am really interested in is light, specifically the use of lighting to create a mood and evoke emotion. To incorporate this into my project there are a few objectives I need to carry out:

-Instead of my current 3D animatic I should create a looser 2D animatic using storybeats that experiment with different colours within each to see what sort of mood I want to create this will make it clearer to people what I am doing but also show that it is in no way final and will be iterated on.

-My case studies should explore critically acclaimed lighting, Lynn suggested that I could do one on a film, one on an animation, and one on a game to get a better insight into what constitutes as successful lighting and how different uses of lighting can make people feel.

-I should design experiments around light, to see if I can completely change the way a person feels about a scene using the lighting. To do this I can create one scene and do a variation of animated lighting tests and test these to see how they make viewers feel. It may also help to write up the questions I will ask people sooner rather than later to help inform these experiments.


All in all I think my goals are clearer now and I understand better the difference between my final piece (creative project) and my dissertation (research project) and even though they are linked they do not have to be linked in everyway way, I can still use the faceted style because I enjoy it and it demonstrates the use of light well because of the contrast and depth between each planar face, I can do either an animation or a simple interaction and decide on this at a later point because both will be able to effectively demonstrate the use of light to create moods and feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment