Monday 3 February 2014

Fourth Supervisor Meeting

Initially I told Ken how I'd progressed in the last week and it was evident that I hadn't been working on enough theory making it a priority this week. I need to find a way of getting useful feedback on pieces of work to make sure it's actually useful to my final piece and is portraying mood in the way I want it to. In order to be more informed that my work is evocative I will need to use case studies, focus groups, interviews and perhaps post my work on some forums to get feedback.

I need to do this to prove that simplistic designs can effectively portray mood in the same way as realistic designs when correctly lit, composed, and textured. This brings me to the next point which is to define exactly what I mean when I use terms like realistic and simplistic because they will mean different things to different people so I need to explain what I mean when I say them.

In my mind although Ken doesn't like me referring to things by their polycount, generally the more realistic a 3D object is, the higher its poly count, the more detailed its texture and the more time it takes to make it. Simplistic designs tend to have lower poly counts, less detail in their textures, and because of this they take less time to make. I would say my process comes somewhere in between these and throughout the piece will shift (perhaps according to how detached from reality it is meant to be).

I talked about the possibility of creating a really polished animation instead of a game, the problem with this is I would need to do case studies on animations rather than games, this week I am going to finalise what I will actually be making whether its an animated flythrough to music or a player experience with simple interaction.

I also need to start working on my dissertation this is a priority considering my project has changed slightly since I wrote my research proposal and much of the text within it may now be unusable.

No comments:

Post a Comment