Monday 9 December 2013

Inspirations 4

Over the last week I have been looking at a lot of paper styled 3D games which use low poly stylised designs.

One of the games I have been looking at is "TearAway" for PS Vita, it uses low poly models that look like folded paper, achieving a beautiful low poly aesthetic, but the design is very closely linked to the very unique gameplay mechanics that allow the player to interact with the world by sticking there finger into it and tearing away at the paper environment.



Another game that uses the paper style but I think has nicer art is "Paper Fox", this really uses the faceted 3d style at a level I would like to be able to achieve. The art direction seems to be more the focus in this game and the design doesn't seem to affect the gameplay it seems more like a well thought out art direction possibly to give a pop-up/story book feel.



The final Game I have been looking at this week that uses a low poly style is "Godus" it uses a faceted 3D style that does not look like paper, this style of 3D seems very well suited for a top down god game, the simple landscape design of course becomes more detailed and interesting as the player interacts with it shaping it in the way that they choose.


My friend Paul also showed me this blog which shows the results of a duo's ten 3d experiments over ten days here is the link and below it my favourite of the pieces.



I also came across this music video that uses some cubist geometry styled visuals and a little bit of low poly 3D I think.

The mad use of colour reminds me of an experiment I did that went wrong and crashed luckily my friend took a photo of it while it was frozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment