Tuesday 17 December 2013

First Supervisor Meeting

Today I had my first meeting with my supervisor Ken Fee, I went over my project and the biggest issue is clarity, I need to make my aim much clearer and the research should be much more focused towards that particular aim.

To come up with a better aim I need to rationalise what I'm planning to do and why. It must be clarified in a way that other people can understand it. I need to identify what I mean by realism and also exactly what faceted 3D is in a way that I can easily explain it to people. I should also not talk about low poly games because games aren't defined by there poly count.

One thing that became quite evident is that I'm looking to make a game thats fun, which may not be the right way to go about creating my final piece, because there is so much that goes into game design it would be difficult for me to make a game by myself. On top of environment design, and creation, I would also have to program, create the sound, think in-depth about gameplay mechanics, UI and GUI design, its all abit too much and although I always said simple player experience there is probably a more feasible way to implement the 3D designs rather than make them into a game.

Ken suggested I talk to a game art professional, Timothy J Reynolds seems like the obvious choice at the minute due to his experience in games and use of low poly environments many of which are faceted 3D style, by talking to him I could gain alot of insight into why he chose that style, how people percieve his work, and what influenced him. along with many other possible questions that will be defined once my aim is clearer.

Although I had taken the focus group out of my proposal it may be a good idea to have some kind of observation, or feedback from other people to determine the most effective level design or what about faceted 3D they find effective. 

Due to my project being related to game art I should be researching many more games, to do this I should look at books about landmarks in games, two examples Ken gave of games I should look at are "The Sentinel", "Rez", and I should talk to 'Stormcloud Games' (who are situated within abertay) about their game "Mr Shingus Paper Zoo" which is 2D but talking to the artists may grant some insight into the paper style.


The Sentinel

Rez HD

Mr Shingus Paper Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment